Monday, June 4, 2012
Morel mushrooms - as art supplies!
Our friend Bill spent a day hunting for and picking morel mushrooms. He generously shared some of his bounty. As I sliced them up I sacrificed a few of the slices to print with and put them on a paper towel to dry. The rest were sauteed with butter and lots of garlic and were delicious. After dinner I took the four slices I had saved out to Studio B and applied black paint to them so I could use them as a stamp. I stamped both on paper and fabric. This is how they looked when I finished with them. The prints on fabric were cut up into 4" squares to use in my daily stitching pieces. The ones on paper were photocopied and then I selected a few of my favorites and enlarged them to several different sizes. Next step will be to go thru the enlargements to pick the ones that I will use to make some thermofax screens. Then I'll be able to print with morels without actually having any on hand, and when I do have some I won't have to sacrifice any for art. I've been quilting "Ode to splat", doing out line quilting that keeps morphing into a different shape - which I'm really liking. Here are #81 thru #83 of my daily stitching, note the morel print in the center of #82.