Monday, August 29, 2016

Now there are three new pieces.

The new start from last week has now become three new starts and I'm still making decisions as I go. The retired print table cover has now been ripped into three good sized pieces (34" x58",25"x48" and 40"x45") and several smaller pieces.

I've stenciled on them with paintstiks.

Started doing some hand stitching with #5 pearl cotton and am changing my mind about it.

The stitching through two layers of cloth and batting will take forever and it's not visible from a distance.

So the new plan, at least for the one with red lettering is to fuse hand dyed silk organza over the letters. I do have some in red, I'm hoping it will be enough.

The largest piece was stenciled with olive green and that shows up better and the smaller piece was stenciled in teal and part of that shows. So stay tuned, I'll see what feels right this week.

The Weekly Leaf
 Another SolarFast week, this time with a leaf from my flower garden.

Avocado SolarFast on a light beige hand dye.

Week #35

Daily Stitching updates

Gelli prints #236-242

Shades of Orange #163-169

Linked to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"

Monday, August 22, 2016

Starting something new

The SAQA call for entries for the Layered Voices show has been out for quite awhile, in fact entries are due next month. I got this strong feeling that I needed to do some more work on the print table cover that I retired a few months ago.  I wrote all over it with black dynaflow paint, anything that came to mind about layers and voices. I found some new fine tip squeeze bottles that work wonderfully.

There's a wire in the cap that keeps the nozzle from clogging. The writing is readable in some areas but not in others.

Then I scraped thickened golden yellow dye all over the piece.
Unfortunately it didn't stay that vibrant because the cloth is a heavyweight muslin that just doesn't come out that bright. The whole piece is 108" x 78" and right now it's a hot mess.
I'll be studying it a bit to see what part or parts I will actually use, I really have no plan I'm just doing whatever feels right at the moment. But there will be both machine and hand stitching involved, maybe more printing. I have no idea right now. I may also end up scrapping the whole thing.

My few days up at McCall were wonderful, I even got to try stand up paddle boarding, it is fun!

The Weekly Leaf
This week I used a leaf shape that I had cut from black paper, notan style. I've been playing with rectangles and leaf shapes. I used the left hand one, photocopied it on to a transparency and used it with SolarFast.
Out in the sun.
The print before stitching.

Week #34

Daily Stitching updates

Gelli prints #229-235

Shades of orange #156-162

Linked to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"

Monday, August 15, 2016

Donation quilts

I have felt the need lately to just sit and sew, so in the past week I've been doing a couple of donation quilts. The first one is very bright and it's ready to quilt.

The second one is still just blocks, I keep rearranging them. In fact I've moved a few since I took this picture.

I got news on Saturday that my quilt honoring Yvonne Porcella was one of the ones selected for the show.
Time for me to get the label on!

Very quick post today because as soon as I finish this I'm packing my car, picking up three friends and heading to McCall for a couple of days of lake time.

The Weekly Leaf

The gelli plate came out to play this week, with a leaf from my garden and some mars red Jacquard textile paint.

Week #33

Daily Stitching updates

Gelli prints #222-228

Shades of Orange #149-155

Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"