Thursday, February 22, 2018

Am I the only one that struggles with a title for each blog post? I find it hard enough to write a post let alone title it, so no title this week.

Last week I had a plan to do a quilt out of some of my hand dyed shibori fabrics, I even drew out a pattern for it, but it was just not coming together. Over the weekend I decided to scrap the whole thing and while I was cleaning up my mess came up with another idea. This one came together in about an hour.

I just have to sew on the facings, add a sleeve, title it and take a decent photo so that it looks as square as it is. I plan on entering it into a call from SAQA with the theme Metamorphosis.

Weekly Leaf #8
Since I ran out of eco prints last week I had to come up with something else for my leaf. I still have a very large bag of dyed paper towels left over form my dying days. I used them a few years ago in one of my daily stitching projects, you can see it here. I pulled out some fairly muted colors.

Decided on the green, ironed it and put misty fuse on the back.

Before stitching

After stitching

I can do several leaves out of this on piece of paper towel so you will probably see it for at least the next three weeks.

2018 Daily Stitching days 47-53
         More background stitching and another spiral.

71 Days of Mark Making days 46-52

Only 19 more days to go!

I'll be linking up with "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Second donation quilt done

I pieced and quilted the second donation quilt and it's in the pile ready to go. I had a piece of teal flannel that was used for the back and binding.

My little cat is always looking for things to get into, I came downstairs yesterday morning and found this.

Actually thats only part of it. She had taken a ball of pearl cotton from the studio to the dining room, wrapped the chairs and then across the room and around a few more legs. Although you can't see it, that glob of thread also has the needle in it. I keep a threaded needle with each of my balls of thread and had obviously forgotten to put this one back in the covered container when I was finished using it. From now on I'll remember to put it safely away.

Weekly Leaf #7

before stitching

After stitching

Thats the last of my eco/botanical prints until the leaves grow back on the trees. Next week I'll be using one of these paper towels left over from when I was production dying and also left over from the daily stitching a few years ago.

2018 Daily Stitching days 40-46

Red dots, green french knots and some more background stitches added.

71 days of mark making, days 39-45

I'll be linking up to "Off the Wall Friday"

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Using up fabric in donation quilts

I've been in the mood to just sew so I've got one donation quilt done and another in the works. The main fabric for the first one was a large piece of stripped fabric given to me by a friend, it was quite old because it was only 35" wide, but I loved the colors. I added some of my hand dyed fabric and this is what I came up with.

The second one started with a pile of colorful leftover pieces from a quilt I gave to one of my granddaughters. The pieces were all 1" wide and between 5" and 6" long, I also had two packs of precut off white 5" squares. I inserted the strips into the squares, then trimmed up the squares and put then up on the design wall. That's where they are now, I'll probably tweak the layout some before I sew the squares together.

2018 Weekly Leaf #6

before stitching
 After stitching

2018 Daily Stitching days 33-39

71 days of mark making days 32-38

I'll link up with "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching".

Thursday, February 1, 2018

More Wet Cyan Leaf Pieces

I was on a roll earlier this week and finished three small wet cyan leaf pieces. The first one is very small and will be sent off to the SAQA Spotlight auction that will be held at the annual conference in San Antonio.

6"x 8"
The second will probably be my contribution to the SAQA online auction in Sept., although it is now hanging in one of the Four County Art Guilds locations.

Three Poplar Leaves 
12"x 12"

The third one is hanging in the City library, another art guild location.
 Blue and Orange Leaves
20"w x 28"h

I still have a few more of last fall's wet cyan prints left to play with, I may get them out this week.

71 days of mark making days 25-31.

I've worked thru my sketchbook and I'm now going backwards thru it and doing the back of each page. I'm even starting to enjoy it.

The Weekly Leaf, week #5

before stitching

after stitching

2018 Daily Stitching  days 26-32

I'll be linking up to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"