Monday, August 31, 2015

Showtime: Contemporary Art Quilts

I'm back home in Idaho after a great show opening. The Arts Center in Corvallis is in an old church building and as you walk up the steps to go thru the bright red doors you can see one of my big circles on the back wall.

Last Thursday at noon Bonnie Bucknam and I answered about an hours worth of questions at the Brown Bag Lunch Talk. Then in the evening was the opening reception. We had a good turn out for both events and it was a lot of fun. My son that lives in Tacoma, WA drove down for the day, bringing along my grandsons. As you can see in the picture below, I made a couple of tops to coordinate with my art work. I'm wearing my daytime version and later changed to a silk one that also had black circles, but in a different arrangement.

I did get a few pictures of the quilts hanging, didn't get any of the talk or reception. All the black and white quilts are mine and the colorful ones are Bonnie's. Bonnie also has pictures on her blog.







The staff and volunteers did an amazing job and it was a real pleasure to be a part of it. The show will be up all of September, The Arts Center, 700 SW Madison Ave., Corvallis, OR 97333.

Every summer I plant coleus in a barrel by the door to Studio B, it's in a spot that gets no sun and they do very well there. Here is this years plants along with a very vibrant petunia in front of them. The picture doesn't even come close to showing the vibrancy of the magenta flowers against the lime green background leaves. That color combination just makes me happy!

The Weekly Leaf

I did a print with Jacquards SolarFast and the end of a willow branch.

In the sun.

Time is up.

After washing the SolarFast out.

Week #35


Daily Stitching updates

Silk Fragments #237-#243



Sari Ribbon #165-#171



11 comments:

  1. Your show looks wonderful and how clever of you to make outfits to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for you. they look stunning. Love the tops idea!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a kick that must have been! Dang girl you sure look good "hanging"! I would have loved to have seen the show. And your Over the Top top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. Bonnie and I decided that we hung together well.

      Delete
  4. I sure do wish I could see the show in person. The quilts look fantastic hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I really like your weekly leaf, maybe it is the colors, or the overlapping pattern of the leaves. Maybe just more contrast, some of your prints have been softer. Any way, the show looks fantastic, I may be able to make it to Corvallis when we all head up for the Portland Quilt Expo in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I'm pretty fond of that leaf also. Hope you can make it into Corvallis.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your show. I have some Solar Fast a friend loaned me. Need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Give the SolarFast a try, it's really easy and fun.

      Delete
  7. Hey, Linda, I was just in Salem a few weeks ago! Would have loved to see your show if only it had started earlier...Loving your work as usual. Glad I could finally find the time to stop by. I think I may be back to my artist's life since I basically got fired from my teaching job for doing too good of a job! The wonders of the world. Now I'll just be a farmer and an artist/blogger, I guess...
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be heading to Corvallis next week to see your show!

    ReplyDelete