Monday, October 17, 2016

My Leaf Stash

Last week I mentioned that the leaves I used for my weekly leaf were from my leaf stash, well this weeks leaf is also, so I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my stash. I pick up leaves all the time, especially when I'm away from home. Most of them get pressed, sometimes I use them right away for a gelli print or a solar fast print.

The plastic container below is about 4" deep and is overflowing. This is my in house stash.
 The next group are my stash out in StudioB (the building in my backyard). First up, layers of leaves, many between paper towels in a cardboard box. This weeks leaf is on top.

  Below the box,  more layers of leaves, most of these are quite large.
  Then on the table, under the plastic panel that I do soy wax on, and between some fabrics are a couple of very large ferns that I brought home from a trip to western Washington. They grow there, but not here in our high desert climate.


I find that always having different leaves available I'm never short of inspiration for my weekly stitching.

This week I used a leaf that I picked from a hedge in Tacoma, WA last June on our way back to our car from my Grandsons graduation. It had been in the pile of leaves being pressed and when I pulled it out the pattern on it amazed me, it didn't look like that when I brought it home.

I printed on to fabric treated for my ink jet printer, put misty fuse on the back, cut it out and fused it to a yellow hand dyed fabric.

Week #42



There are now 7 rows of leaves.

Daily Stitching updates

Geeli prints #285-291



Only 4 more rows to go!

Shades of orange #212-218



I did add more stitching to the hands this week and I'm calling it done. I made each hand all three colors instead of just one.

The Makers Hands
57"x57"

I'll be linking to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"

8 comments:

  1. Perfect solution for the hands! I'm always picking up leaves, too, especially at this time of the year. I don't usually save them. Perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's comforting to know there are others with this leaf collecting addition. :-) The leaf quilt is looking stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week my eye was drawn to your use of long parallel rows of straight stitching. Very effective background filler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing what a little bit of stitching does on those gelli prints. Just enough to suggest without overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous projects! Love your printed and stitched leaves! All of your projects are amazing, I couldn't pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness so many wonderful projects on the go! Love seeing all the leaf blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how organic and interesting! No two are alike. I wish I had saved some from when I livied in Wisconsin they were breath taking in the fall.

    ReplyDelete