Wednesday, April 28, 2010
My granddaughter Arie will be celebrating her first birthday on Monday. I'll even get to be there to help her celebrate, so I've been working on this chair for the last several days. I found the chair in a resale shop, it had many coats of paint already, the last one a dirty looking beige color that had been applied very thickly. It took three days to remove all the old paint, lots of colors of paint. Arie's room is very pink with white and brown trim, so her chair is white with pink and brown trim. The big bow came from the flower bouquet I received for my birthday.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
On our final day there we did finishing touches, like the concrete for the entry - with handprints. I was given the task of painting the door.
The very happy couple having a drink to celebrate.
The finished project. Now the fun begins, getting all the plants - the last update from them was that they had gone online and ordered a banana tree.
Friday, April 23, 2010
The beginning of day three. Today we tape all the seams and do work inside.
This is the water tank, it will absorb heat and help maintain the temperature. It's on the north side and behind it are reflective insulation panels.
My job was to tape all the seams - that's me on the ladder getting more direction.
The door is the final project for the day.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
The second day we put up the glazing, the large triangle sheets of layered plastic. We started at the top and worked downward.
This is how it looked at lunchtime.
This is a view from the inside later in the afternoon.
The end of day two, all the glazing is in place. I carried each one of those pieces from the shed they were stored in to the location it had to go. The guys then screwed them in place. I had a diagram to follow so I knew what piece fit and how it fit into the spot, rather like following a quilt pattern.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
A little over a week ago I got a call from my daughter asking if we would like to come help build their greenhouse. Seemed like a good reason for a road trip, so after an eight hour drive to western Washington State we were ready to go. The greenhouse is from a kit that they had purchased from Growing spaces, a 26' geodesic dome. The above picture was taken about halfway thru the first morning of work, we had gotten the bottom frame put together and were leveling it.
By lunch break we had gotten a good start on the dome frame.
The end of the first day and we have gotten the frame work completed.
The only injury for the whole project - I cut my finger making lunch.