Thursday, November 16, 2017

A herringbone quilt top

While we were in NY I watched several videos on facebook that were from Quilt Market in Houston, one of them was Victoria Findley Wolfe demonstrating how she does a herringbone quilt. I loved the effect and over the weekend I pulled out a bunch of multi colored hand dyed fabrics and started cutting them up. On Monday I finished up the top, it's about 52" x 60"I just sewed until I ran out of cut strips.


I'm happy with it and I think I'll even keep it for myself, but with a very busy week or two coming up it will have to wait to be quilted.

Also finished the stitching and mounted the discharged wet cyanotype leaf.

Weekly Stitching
Signs of Life: The five universal shapes
Week #46

Two shapes done, the yellow in rows of chain stitch and the red in rows of blanket stitch.

2017 Daily Stitching #2
Days #157-162    Filling in the background and I'm working slowly trying to stretch it out till the end of the year(it's not going to happen).



I'll be linking up to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching"

Thursday, November 9, 2017

I'm back

I have been traveling for the past couple of weeks, went to Wallkill, New York  to visit family and to be tourists. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.

Went to a nieces wedding where I met up with all three of my younger brothers, first picture together in many years.

We borrowed my brothers car and drove to Corning, NY to visit an uncle of Don's and to spend some time at the Corning Glass museum. Then on to Niagara Falls since neither one of us had ever been there.

Then back to Wallkill to just hang out for a while before flying back home. It was a good to see my family and to just hang out with no real agenda.

Weekly stitching
Signs of Life: The five universal shapes weeks #43-45





 Weeks #41-45

Only seven weeks left in the year! My next group will probably last for the whole seven weeks. I'm going to be stitching on a piece of silk noil that I had used soy wax paste on. When steaming it I incurred a problem with bleeding both from the dye and the newspaper I had rolled it in. I did this early last spring was disappointed and just put it aside. Since I need to get another one started I decided that if I covered it with stitches the bleeding would be hidden.


It looks better in the photo than it does in person. I've started pulling out some threads to work with and I don't plan on using french knots, but we will see what happens.

2017 Daily Stitching #2
 I'm down to just filling in the background on this one.


Since returning home I've also started machine stitching another small leaf piece.


I've also been knitting a lot. I finished a pair of socks while in NY, so have started another pair. I'm making this pair out of yarn leftover from previous socks.

I've also started a cardigan made from several different single skeins of yarn from my stash. Most of these are yarns that I would not have purchased for myself, but they were all gifts from my hubby. I'm usually cool in the house so this will be my sweater of many colors to keep me warm. I'll also use up the yarn!

I'll be linking up to "Off the Wall Friday" and "Slow Sunday Stitching".