Monday, November 3, 2014

Shibori stitched leaf

Last month when I was preparing for our dye play day I stitched a ginko leaf to dye for my weekly leaf and as a demo for the group. I lightly drew a large ginkgo leaf onto my square of fabric, and then started putting in the stitches to gather it up and make the design. This is how it looked prior to gathering up the stitches.



Then without thinking about where I planned to use it, I put it in a brown dye that was already mixed and got this result.


Which gave me the leaf image I wanted but not in a color that would go with the rest of my weekly leaves.

So this week I redid the entire process.
Put in the stitches.

Gathered them up.


Then this time instead of dying the fabric, I used a hand dyed green that I knew would discharge to yellow and I discharged the leaf. Here it is with the bleach just on the folds that were gathered.


Used a bleach pen.

In the above photo you can also see the bleach is working.

Here it is rinsed well.

Then all the stitching was taken out, the piece was soaked in Bleach stop to neutralize the bleach and then washed.

The leaf didn't come out quite as well as the one that had been dyed, but it is perfect for adding some hand stitching.

The Weekly Leaf #44



Daily Stitching updates.
Line Dance #301-#307


The Daily Paper #229-#235





 Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"

5 comments:

  1. I think you know how I feel about ginkgoes, so I love this leaf. I should try this. The stitching is good TV work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitching really brings out the subtle lines discharged by the bleach. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So interesting to see your process - thank you for sharing and it came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you are so original and fresh with your leaves. Who would have thought of a shibori leaf? It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete