Monday, February 22, 2016

SAQA Benefit Auction and sewing leaves together

SAQA is starting to collect 12" x12" donation quilts for the fall benefit auction and I have one ready to send in. A few years ago I made a composition out of some of my indigo dyed fabrics and a piece of rusted milk filter, I was unhappy with where I had placed the rusted piece and never finished it.
The rust circle ended up right smack in the middle. I got it out and cut it apart, finished the stitching on it, faced it and now it is ready to go.
Indigo and Rust


The auction is not until September, but it feels good to have something done and ready to go.

The Weekly Leaf

There was a brown paper envelope in our  recycling pile that I rescued and turned into a leaf. This leaf was my inspiration.

 First I cut out the back of the envelope, got it wet and massaged it into a ball.

Next, it was sprayed with walnut ink.


Ironed flat and put misty fuse on the back.


Then the leaf was cut out and fused to the fabric.


Week #8



I've also started sewing the finished leaves together. First I cut strips of fusible light weight interfacing and fuse it to the back of two leaves butted together.

Then did a cross stitch from the front.


At the end of the year I will back the whole thing with one large piece of felt.

Here's how the first 8 look.


Daily Stitching updates

Gelli Prints #47- #53





Sri Ribbon #340-#346





11 comments:

  1. Oh Linda - I love what you did with that brown envelop. I've heard of doing something similar with brown paper bags to make them look like leather but this has me thinking down a whole new path. I loved that leaf every step of the way and am so taken with the way you stitched it.

    Your SAQA donation ain't bad either! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I was surprised at how much it looked like a leaf when I was done. Can't wait to see what you do with the idea.

      Delete
  2. Love the realistic leaf! Also the solution for joining the stitched leaf pieces. I might steal that one for something!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You constantly amaze me. Your leaf looks so real! Good for you for getting your SAQA piece done so early. Simple, but elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, enjoyed your weeks efforts. Glad your auction piece is done. Mine is too. Great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brown paper?? Who knew....clearly YOU did!!! Wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEAUTIFUL...each and every one of your pieces! I've finally finished my last project; rec'd some solar fast and ready to print out some leaves! WooHoo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAUTIFUL...each and every one of your pieces! I've finally finished my last project; rec'd some solar fast and ready to print out some leaves! WooHoo...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the hand stitching. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are being so creative! And you are so on top of it getting your donation piece done already.

    ReplyDelete