Each piece is 6" square and completely finished. My original plan had been to sew them together, but I'm leaning more toward keeping them as individual pieces. The photo below is my original plan, they are just stuck to my design wall now, but this was my vision of them sewn together.
2013 weekly stitching
You can now see all 52 blocks on a separate page, click the 2013 weekly stitching link on the upper right side.
Here's a bit more information;
-The fabric is vintage linen and cotton napkins that were divided into three piles and dyed either rose, teal or yellow.
- Each dyed piece was then clamped with a pair of plexiglass shapes, either a circle ,square or triangle and then over dyed in one of the opposite colors.
- Each one has a piece of flannel fused to the back, this gives the fabric a bit more stability when stitching and also gives the stitches a bit more dimension. I do not use a hoop when I stitch.
-The stitching is all done with pearl cotton thread, most of it #5 weight. Some of the threads were dyed with the fabrics, others are commercial threads.
-I finished each piece by pillow casing a cotton fabric to the back. The fabric was ice dyed with the leftover dyes from doing the linens. This is a sample of the backs.
- Each back has the week it was done written on it.
- I only used seven simple stitches to do all 52 weeks. Frequently I would combine different stitches in a block, here's how often those stitches show up.
- Straight stitch /running stitch, 32 weeks
- French knots and variations , 33 weeks
- Fly stitch and variations, 23 weeks
- Blanket stitch and variations, 13 weeks
- Chain / lazy daisy stitch, 11 weeks
- Cross Stitch, 6 weeks
- Couching, 5 weeks
Although I've used the same stitches over and over each individual piece is different. I think I could probably just keep going with this but I think it's time I do something new. I'm still working out the details but it will definitely be a bit different than this one.
Daily Stitching updates
365 Red circles #357 - #360 - only 5 more to go!
Indigo and Rust #285 - #288, only 78 days till my birthday!
Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"