Monday, April 27, 2015

Nara Sarashi

"Nara Sarashi"
24" x27"





I've titled the above piece "Nara Sarashi" because that's what this type of woven hemp is called in Japan. Originally it was used mainly as clothes of priests. Later in history it came to be used for samurai's old ceremonial dress and unlined kimono in summer. Now it is used to make tea cloth, shop curtains and centerpieces. At least thats the information that came with the fabric.

The weekly leaf
This weeks leaf was from one of my weeds in the garden. Printed with Jacquard textile paint on a gelli plate.

Week #17,yr2




Daily Stitching updates

Silk Fragments #111-#117



And six rows done!

Sari Ribbon #39-#45



This week I'll be making the six hour drive to Portland for the SAQA conference. I'm looking forward to the conference, the drive there and then back home again next Monday, not so much.

5 comments:

  1. Oh-I'll see you at conference then! Hope you'll bring a small piece of your work along-I'd love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have my daily stitching pieces with me and a weekly leaf or two.

      Delete
  2. Nara Sarashi is just so wonderful.....love the simplicity, while appreciating the stitching/design. Really, really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at the conference!
    I think the stitching and the weaving compliment each other very well.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to Portland, too! We can finally meet each other.
    Love the background stitching on this week's leaf and the channels it produced.
    Nara Sarashi is wonderful, love all the stitching.

    ReplyDelete