Monday, February 9, 2015

Chaos and Calm

In March of 2010 I did a mono print of a circle everyday. The first thirty days the prints were on a 20" square of linen, the last day I did a print on a 52"square of cotton. The last one got turned into a quilt almost immediately , the second quilt from the group took about two years, the third almost four years and now I've done another. I cut up each of the mono prints into 9" squares and used my favorite pieces. I have a whole bag of squares still waiting in the wings. I got them out around Christmas and started playing with different arrangements and came up with a few that had possibilities. My favorite one got sewn together and the rest of the squares are back in the bag. I used a big portion of the very chaotic prints with some pieces that were the centers of the printed circles and had little or no printing. Then it took me six weeks to decide how to quilt it, but yesterday I made a decision and got it done.

"Chaos and Calm, Fractured Mono prints#3"
31" x 31"
textile paint on linen



 I've been a bit slow getting my sketching and watercolor done this week, but I have a start to show you. This week is greens and leaves, you'd have thought I would have jumped right on it!


The Weekly Leaf
This weeks leaf is  different than any I've done before. My good friend Jeanette saved a couple of her poinsettia leaves for me, one pressed and one not.

I took lots of pictures of both, they have both made an appearance on my daily photo blog back in January. I held the pressed leaf up to the light for most of the pictures and loved how the light really showed the small little veins in the leaf. This is the one I chose.

I cropped it in photoshop and printed it on cotton treated for ink jet printers.

Week #6, year 2


Daily stitching updates

Silk Fragments #34- #40


The Daily Paper #327-#333



Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Love the quilt and the circular quilting. This weeks's leaf might be one of my all time favorites. That's hard to say because I like them all. The veining on it is fabulous and your watercolor is super!

      Delete
  2. Very cool on the stitched leaf!
    I also love the turquoise and black silk fragments. Was the fabric already those colours, or did you do a sort of shibori?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekly leaf has the same inspiration of my In Vein pieces. I wish I had thought of printed it on fabric; would have been a lot easier!

    Good job on the Chaos and Calm quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!! Very inspirational art!!!!! I love the leaf too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How simple and do-able, a monoprint circle every day - and what a great way to get a stock of related fabric. If a person wanted to get rid of all their printed fabric and start all over again, this would be how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also interesting to see how much the circle changes everyday.

      Delete
  6. The quilting has really enhanced the circles piece which is so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chaos and Calm is just fantastic. I saw your shibori quilt on the SAQA blog today. Also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete