Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mono Printing

Laura had a question on my last post about mono prints, so I thought I'd write about how I do mine. Mono prints are a single one of a kind print. I have a salvaged window that is about 24" x 30" that I use for most of my prints. I use either fabric paint, versatex printing ink is my favorite or thickened dye. With a gloved hand I scoop up some paint with my fingers and start smearing it around on the glass until I'm satisfied with what I see. Then I take my piece of cloth and carefully lay it over the smeared paint, then I use a brayer to go over the whole thing. Then carefully pick the fabric up off the glass and put aside to dry. Generally I'm not happy with my first piece, it takes some playing around to get the right amount of paint on the glass, but you have to work quickly before the paint dries.

The picture below is of four mono prints done with thickened dye. I had the dye in squeeze bottles and squirted it on and used various tools to smear the dye around.



For pieces bigger than my glass piece, I use vinyl. I bought several yards at JoAnn's and I keep it rolled on a cardboard tube.

There are several other ways of doing mono prints, but this is my favorite way. There's no right or wrong way of doing it - just do what works for you.

On another note; my other blogwas nominated for an award today. So I had to nominate three other blogs for the same honor, so go check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the details--so, basically you use your glass (or vinyl) to put your design on, plop your fabric on carefully, roll the design in, and voila?? Sounds easy, but I'm sure there are a lot of variables to consider to make sure it all comes out ok. I'm going to add this to my list of things to try. I've done gelatin monoprinting once before, but I like the glass idea better, it should last longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just takes some practice getting the right amount of paint, laying the fabric out smoothly, etc. I love the spontaneity of it. Just have fun and play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love what you are doing. I love mono printing too.x lynda
    http://tryingtocreatearteverything.blogspot.com
    and
    http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! I'm loving everything you are doing with circles. Congratulations on the blog award...as you know, I'm a fan of your photography.
    Thank you for your kindness during the past several weeks.

    ReplyDelete