Saturday, June 25, 2011

1st Place and a rejection

My "Autumn Leaf" quilt (aka, the big leaf) came home from the NQA show yesterday with a great big 1st place art/innovative ribbon on it!!! I was very pleased, especially since I had gotten an e-mail earlier in the week telling me that it had not been accepted in the Pacific West Quilt show. So that's 2 rejections and a 1st place for the same quilt.

I've been MIA from the studio for the past 2 weeks, last week because we were having a wonderful time with all my kids and grandkids and this week I've been volunteering at the annual fiddle festival. I'm ready to get back into the studio, I have a few ideas percolating and I'm ready to jump in.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

A new jacket

Earlier this week I decided I needed a new light weight jacket to take with me on a trip this coming week. So I knew I had a 3 + yard piece of rayon already soda ash soaked, ready for dye. My print paste was rather runny, so my first step was to mix some with teal dye, put it into a syringe and squirt it over the fabric.

The next day I thickened up the print paste, mixed up some aquamarine and chartreuse and started printing.

The finished fabric.

The finished jacket( I won't be wearing it with my black t-shirt and pink jeans).

Sunday, June 5, 2011


All I have to show for the past week is this.

My friend Barbara is going to be a Grandma for the first time, so "spike the dinosaur" will be slipped into a package of goodies being sent to Germany.

The weather has finally gotten warmer so I've been enjoying the outside, pulling weeds, planting flowers,watching the birds at the feeders and just sitting outside contemplating everything around me. I've been in a bit of a contemplative mood lately trying to figure out what to do next. I've been thinking about doing more mono prints, but I keep wondering what am I going to do with all this fabric. I still have thirty mono prints that I did a year ago last March. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all of them. I did use one, #31 and it is in SAQA's Beyond Comfort show.

When I was vending I had no problem creating way to much fabric because I would put any I wasn't going to use myself in the booth and sell it. Now it stacks up in the studio. But I still have this drive to create more, just to see what I can do. I don't make small samples, I work big - at least a yard, sometimes two or three yards. So it adds up fast!

I'm doing a collaboration with Kathy Loomis on my daily photo blog. Last week we did architectural details and this week we are doing rivers. Check out her blog also.